2.17.2010

the legendary Edith Head


"Your dresses should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady."
If I had the opportunity to pick one woman who would style or design for me on a daily basis, without hesitation I would choose Edith Head.  The woman had *impeccable* taste bar none. 
Sought after by the upper echelon of the Hollywood elite, she designed for the likes of Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Barbara Stanwyck and countless others.  During the course of her career she won 8 oscars (more than any other woman) and was nominated for 35 Academy Awards.  She was quite the busy lady.

This woman was responsible for creating the iconic "Hitchcock Blondes".  Being both a blonde and a huge Hitchcock fan (our vintage namesake is in his honor) I can't help but show just the slightest amount favor to her work in his movies.

And now behold the legacy of Edith Head...

Double Indemnity



Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday, Funny Face & Breakfast at Tiffanys






Grace Kelly & (my favorite actor) Jimmy Stewart in Rear Window






A Place in the Sun






To Catch a Thief






The Birds




After all this I have reminded myself that I am in dire need of a hair appointment.  
These women are flawless!
xo 
erin




1 comment:

  1. Absolutely LOVE Edith Head - great blog on her, what a talented woman!! You don't need a hair appointment. Those women only looked good for those shots. No worries! I do an occasional article on costume jewelery so I totally appreciate this time period and the talents that lived then!

    ReplyDelete